Don’t be a fool on April Fool’s Day. But you know can trust your buddy, Harker, right? I’ve compiled a list of some of the week’s biggest stories. Some are outrageous. Some are amusing. One is fake. See if you can spot the phony!
• The Ash Is Back! Starz released its first look at the new season of ASH VS EVIL DEAD and it looks like Bruce Campbell’s Ash is crashing some of the best frat parties I ever attended so props to him. He’s got plenty of time to party because Season 2 won’t drop until September. He’ll have a little extra muscle behind him this year as his father will be played by none other than THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN himself, Lee Majors! You know Ash needs more than just that chain saw…
• Looks like the erstwhile Princess Buttercup and current Claire Underwood is headed for the future: Emmy nominee Robin Wright is joining the super-secretive BLADE RUNNER 2. She’ll add Ryan Gosling and, of course, Harrison Ford, who returns as Rick Deckard, to her staggering list of leading men that includes Tom Hanks, Sean Penn (IRL and onscreen), Robin Williams (sadface), Kevin Costner, Bruce Willis, Aidan Quinn, Brad Pitt, and, of course, Kevin Spacey. But first, she’ll be seen in next summer’s WONDER WOMAN.
• Your foul-mouthed bestie Deadpool is coming over. Best brace yourself. He drops on DVD/Blu-ray May 10. Put some Riunite on ice and pre-order here!
• Did you like GOOSEBUMPS? Do you like dungeons? Do you like dragons? Well, if you answered Yes to all three, ding, ding! You are winner because the director of the Jack Black hit, Rob Letterman, has signed on to helm Warner Bros. DUNGEONS & DRAGONS flick. No word if it’s at all related to the 2000 flop starring Jeremy Irons and Thora Birch. … Regardless, I’ll meet you in your parents’ basement so we can bone up on the game.
• Newly minted Oscar winner Brie Larson has let slip that she’s signed on to the reboot of FANTASTIC FOUR. Last year’s disastrous reboot isn’t keep Marvel from trying again. A rep for the studio said, “It’s never too soon to dust yourself off and try again. If one reboot doesn’t stick, just make another. Eventually, people will show up just to stop you from trying.” Following in the footsteps of Kate Mara, Jessica Alba, and the legendary Pamela Anderson, Larson says, “This new script has such depth. Even as the Invisible Girl, you’ll be able to see the many levels of complexity I’ll bring to Sue. Now if we can only get Dave Franco to play the Human Torch. …” Best of luck, kids!
• Disney is plotting a live-action take off on its first feature, SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS. The original Brothers Grimm fairy tale of SNOW WHITE AND ROSE RED had nothing to do with the classic story we all know about dwarfs and apples and glass coffins, which this movie WILL tie in to, giving us the perspective of Snow’s sister we (and she, probably) never knew she had. Rose and the dwarfs will try to break Snow’s sleeping curse (presumably in between the apple and the appearance of the prince). Honestly, what’s next? The backstory of the Wicked Witch of the West?
• BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE is likely the most divisive superhero movie ever. But if you fall on the “it stinks” side, there is hope. Two (!) petitions are circulating imploring DC to replace Zack Snyder as the director of JUSTICE LEAGUE. Nerds are nothing if not passionate. United we stand and all that. Check out the Change.org petition. (Ben Affleck’s already signed…)