Lots happening in Hollywood this week. Here’s a quick primer on stories you might have missed!
• HARRY POTTER Meets THE OTHERS Meets THE PURGE. Alejandro Amenábar (THE OTHERS, THESIS, OPEN YOUR EYES) drops his latest psychological thriller, REGRESSION, May 10 on Blu-ray and DVD as well as on demand through Starz Digital. With a script by Amenábar and a cast that includes Oscar nominee Ethan Hawke, HARRY POTTER alums Emma Watson (Hermione) and David Thewlis (Lupin), and veteran Dale Dickey (IRON MAN 3, SUPER 8, THE YELLOW WALLPAPER, TRUE BLOOD), this satanic-cult thriller has a lot of potential. I know what I’ll be doing May 10!
• Everything Old Is New Again. CBS has found the lead for its reboot of the Richard Dean Anderson action-fantasy series MACGYVER. Deadline reports that Lucas Till (X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST, STOKER, KRISTY) has signed on to play the innovative secret agent known for getting out of sticky situations using random items like rubber bands, chewing gum, and a paper clip. The new series will focus on Angus MacGyver’s early years, so it’s essentially a prequel to the original. Till’s joining the previously cast George Eads (CSI), which is fantastic, but what we really want to know is will he be able to rock Anderson’s shaggy mullet?
• The New Chucky. New Line, the House That Freddy Built, hit big with the killer-doll movie ANNABELLE, so it’s going back to the well and will release ANNABELLE 2 (catchy title) in May of 2017. As long as she doesn’t start spouting NSFW one-liners we’re OK with this!
• If that’s not scary enough, news broke today that Eli Roth’s long-delayed CLOWN will hit silver screens this June. About a man who dons the titular clown suit and realizes A. he can’t take it off and B. that it’s slowly taking over his body and brain, it’s already scarier than that Poltergeist remake. (Presumably, an English-language poster is imminent.) Check out the official U.K. trailer here.
• Birthday Boy. I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention William Shatner’s birthday. Captain Kirk turns 85 today. EIGHTY-FIVE. All that time in space must have slowed down the aging process, because he is as active as ever. So blow out a candle for our fearless space leader today!